Pages

Sunday, July 26, 2009

RIP Yasmin Ahmad

This post is written with pure dedication and tribute to the one who has deeply moved and inspired me throughout my teenage years with all the touching PETRONAS Merdeka, Chinese New Year, Raya, and Deepavali Ads - some which made my eyes well up with tears - and her words and ideals. The director of Sepet and other great Malaysian movies (Rabun, Gubra, etc.) - a liberal Malaysian, consistent with the Malaysian spirit and theme in efforts of uniting Malaysia in all her works surpassing that of a film maker or producer. One of the few Malaysians whom I look up to.


1958 - 2009

How much tragedy can one contain? In about a month we witnessed the death of Michael Jackson, Walter Cronkite, etc; the Jakarta bombings, not to forget the Swine Flu pandemic, and now, Yasmin Ahmad.

Today isn't a good day at all. Disappointments liberally strewn and to think that she passed while I was probably driving home alone on the Federal Highway thinking of how pathetic my life is after losing 4 rounds at pool, multiple rounds at Bishi Bashi, failing to redeem my Clinique goodie bags, missing out on grabbing tickets to Public Enemies, forsaking dinner and the money that I paid cause the food was shite, and chugging beer alone to replace missing Bubba. And upon reaching home and switching on the PC while contemplating on appearing offline on both MSN and Facebook so as to avoid 'publicly' appearing as a loser for being home, alone on a Saturday night, this news.

I had to blog about this. I just had to. Prose and cohesiveness aside. Inferiority aside.

I am sad, and I mourn, not only for the fact that Malaysia has lost such an important figure who plays a role in its film and advertising industry, but also for her efforts in encouraging by showing and eventually embedding in us what Bangsa Malaysia means. Forgive me for sounding a tad foolish but I have always wanted to meet her in person. This is how much she means to me though my existence might not be known to her. RIP.




No comments: